Saturday, August 22, 2026

Trump talks up White House ballroom and says he views strait of Hormuz as ‘American territory’ – as it happened

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Pocket
WhatsApp

Trump: ‘I view the strait of Hormuz as American territory’

Discussing the war with Iran at a South Carolina campaign event, Trump said: “I view the strait of Hormuz as an American territory right now. It’s an American territory.”

The president has faced scrutiny in recent days for making similar remarks as his administration struggles to end the war and gas prices reach record high levels. During a speech in New York last week, Trump said he would “pretty soon” designate the strait a US territory. The strait is a crucial waterway for global trade, bordered by Iran and Oman, and Tehran has refused to reopen it as peace talks continue to stall.

The president also recently claimed on social media that the US had “total control” over the strait, saying, “I think we will keep it.” Last week, Kazem Gharibabadi, Iran’s deputy foreign minister, responded that Tehran would not ⁠be intimidated by the president’s threats and that the strait of Hormuz ​would only ​be opened under Iran’s ​authority.

Share

Updated at 

Key events

Closing summary

This concludes our live coverage of the second Trump administration for the day. Here are the latest developments:

  • Donald Trump thanked the supreme court for allowing work to proceed, for now, on what he has taken to calling his White House “Military/Ballroom Complex”. The president’s brief post was packed with misleading or false claims about the order and the ballroom he razed the entire East Wing of the White House to build.

  • Trump was asked if he could “guarantee that no tax money will be used in the construction of the ballroom?” The president replied, as he has for over a year, by insisting that the project would be entirely paid for by private donations, despite multiple reports that the project will drain hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars from federal agencies.

  • The US Postal Service prepared to publish a final ⁠rule late ⁠on ​Friday to impose new requirements on states to provide the federal government with information on voters ahead of the November ⁠midterm congressional elections, despite a ​pair of court ‌orders ‌that currently block the ‌changes from taking effect.

  • The Pentagon fired the publisher and editor in chief of Stars and Stripes, a US military news outlet partly funded by taxpayers, as well as a reporter after the outlet drew attention to dire conditions for service members fighting Iran.

  • Trump threatened a prominent progressive think tank, the Center for American Progress, with a $5bn lawsuit over its report that found the president’s expensive deployment of the national guard and other federal agents has done little to reduce violent crime in Washington DC and other cities.

source

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Pocket
WhatsApp

Never miss any important news. Subscribe to our newsletter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Never miss any important news. Subscribe to our newsletter.

Recent News

Editor's Pick